Easy Zucchini Noodles With Meat Sauce Recipe That is Sure to Impress!
Anyone that’s close to me knows, my favorite food consists around bread and pasta. Anything bread or pasta I scarf down in seconds flat, its actually kind of a talent. I love pizza (veggie or margherita are my favorite), bread with a good olive oil dipping sauce, or any type of pasta. I don’t think I’ve met a pasta I don’t like, but my favorite has to be an angel hair pasta with light olive oil, cherry tomatoes, garlic, pearl onions, Italian herbs, diced tomatoes sauce, topped with some basil and parmesan cheese. Okay, I’m getting carried away here. See how much I love pasta? The point is, as much as I love bread and pasta, it’s not something I can eat ALL the time. I’ve found a way around this though, zoodles! For anyone that doesn’t know what zoodles are, they are spiralized zucchini noodles and they are delicious. I swap out pasta for this veggie version in many of my pasta dishes. The recipe below includes a meat sauce, but you can use marina, an olive oil sauce, and many more. Full disclosure here, I’m not trying to pretend like zoodles are better than pasta, because frankly, I don’t think anything is better than pasta. These zoodles are delicious though and make a great healthy alternative. For example, a cup of cooked spaghetti has 221 calories, 43 grams of carbs, and 2 grams of fat, while a cup of zucchini noodles has 20 calories, 3.7 grams of carbs, and 0.4 grams of fat. That’s a huge difference! The recipe below will help you put these zoodles into action. There are many ways to spiral zucchini noodles, you can use a knife, Kitchen Aid, or even buy them already spiralized. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer since it has an attachment for spiralizer. You can refer to this video (Spiralizing Zucchini ) on five different ways to spiralize zucchini. You will also notice that this recipe doesn’t give exact measurements for all the ingredients. Most of the time I cook intuitively and I’m not quite use to writing down measurements yet. I’ll get it down though. I hope you all enjoy this zucchini noodles with meat sauce recipe and let me know what you think in the comments!
Zucchini Noodles with Meat Sauce Recipe
4 zucchini, spiraled
8-10 oz ground turkey meat (or ground beef)
1 can diced tomatoes
mushrooms (to taste)
4 tbsp of tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
Italian seasoning to taste
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
- Dice up the onion into smaller chunks and throw into a pan over medium to high heat. Add some olive oil and let that cook until the onions almost reach golden brown. Then, add the ground turkey and cook until almost cooked all the way through.
- After the turkey is almost cooked add your can of diced tomatoes, water, sugar, sundried tomato pesto, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Give it a stir and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- While the meat sauce is simmering, put a pot of water over high heat. Once it begins to boil add your spiraled zucchini zoodles into the water. These don’t take as long as regular pasta to cook and should only be left in the water for 5-6 minutes, but check regularly. Your zucchini should have a crunch to them, they should NOT be soft or else they just taste like a mushy mess. Embrace the crunch!
- Once the noodles are done, drain them and add salt and pepper, set aside. Take your meat sauce off heat and let them sit for about 10 minutes. You don’t want the hot meat sauce to cook your zucchini noodles even longer.
- Place your zoodles in a bowl and top with the meat sauce right before serving.
If you liked this recipe, check out my other recipes such as, my minestrone recipe!