You’ll love this moist and tangy lemon cake recipe with a lemon Swiss meringue buttercream icing. It has the perfect amount of lemon flavor with a soft ribbon of velvety icing. If you love a good lemon flavor, this cake is a must try!
For this recipe I used Natasha’s Kitchen’s Swiss meringue buttercream icing. It is the best Swiss meringue buttercream icing recipe and her directions on how to make it are so simple. If you wanted to use the same icing I used for this cake, head over to the link above. Natasha will give you step by step directions on how to make her delicious icing. The only thing I did differently was I added a little bit of lemon zest to match the lemon flavor of the cake. I added 2 tbsp of lemon zest to the icing at the very end.
Lemon Cake RecipeCourse: DessertCuisine: American
A tangy lemon cake with a smooth ribbon of velvety lemon icing. Easy to make and super delicious!
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, beat your butter, oil, and sugar in an electric mixer until it’s smooth and well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, giving time for each egg to incorporate.
- Stir in the vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in the mixer. Once the flour mixture is all incorporated, add the milk.
- Evenly divide the cake batter into your prepared cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Check the cake often and use a toothpick to see if the cake is finished. If you stick a toothpick into the middle of a cake and it comes out clean, it’s finished!
- Once the cake has completely cooled, you may frost the cake!
- * I linked the icing recipe I used above. You may use that recipe or any other favorite icing recipe you may have.
- *You can switch out the canola oil for vegetable oil if needed.
- * You may use different sized cake pans if needed, but please pay attention to the cook time, because it may take longer. I used 6″ cake pans for this cake.
If you guys enjoyed this Lemon Cake Recipe, check out my other recipes such as my Dark Chocolate Raspberry Mousse Cake or check out my instagram page simplyb.grace