Try out this healthy vegetarian option for a burger!
More than ever we are seeing vegetarian and plant based options on menus and in households. People enjoy taking a break from meat every once in awhile, especially when they’re looking for a lighter or healthier option. This burger gives you less of the meat and all of the flavor. I’m not going to lie to you, this is not to substitute a burger. So, don’t expect this to taste like a greasy delicious burger. Instead, you will get a flavorful healthy black bean burger recipe that fuels your body with an abundance of nutrition.
Health Benefits of Black Beans
Many people are concerned about the “lack” of protein you get when you eat anything but meat. The fortunate news is, black beans come packed with protein. They have around 8 grams of protein in every half cup of black beans. Black beans not only have protein, but a large amount of fiber as well. In one cup of canned black beans you can find 10 grams of fiber, which can help with our digestive system. Black beans may also reduce blood pressure, the risk of heart disease, and diabetes.
Tips While Cooking
- The recipe doesn’t say grated onions for nothing. Grating is the best way to incorporate onions into these burgers. Even if you finely dice the onion, you run the risk of your burger not sticking together properly and breaking apart. I have finely diced onions for this recipe before, but make sure they are FINELY diced (almost like you grated them ;)). I have the Professional Box Grater from Amazon and I love it! If you don’t have a box grater yet, I highly suggest getting one. I use it for so many things, onions, cheese, fruits, veggies and it has no problem grating though them.
- Breadcrumbs come in many shapes and sizes. I tend to like Panko Whole Wheat bread crumbs, because it’s the healthier option. If you have another type of bread crumbs on hand, go ahead and use them. A seasoned bread crumbs would also be delicious in this recipe.
- I like to add all my ingredients and taste test before I add my raw egg. I do this to make sure I have the right amount of salt.
Healthy Black Bean Burger Recipe
2 cups black beans, drained and mashed with fork
1/4 cup grated onion
1/3 cup panko whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper
Canola or Vegetable oil, for oiling grill pan
1 or 2 kaiser rolls
Iceberg lettuce, for serving
Sliced tomatoes, for serving
Mayonnaise, for serving
- Mix together the black beans, grated onion, bread crumbs, garlic powder, curry powder, egg, and some salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Preheat the grill pan over medium heat and add some canola oil to the pan. Cook the burger for 4 minutes on each side. Serve on a roll with your choice of toppings.
I hope you all enjoy this healthy black bean burger recipe! If you like healthy recipes like this one, check out my Sweet Potato Burger Recipe.